23 October 2012

Two months in...


I can't quite believe it, but as of this morning, I have been in Belfast for two months! I've done a lot since arriving...

  • Proved to myself that I could move to a foreign country
  • Dipped my toes in the Irish Sea
  • Mastered public transportation
  • Made countless new friends and acquaintances
  • Voted by absentee ballot
  • Explored a new city and began to learn about its historical impact
  • Hosted my first guests
  • Successfully planned (and executed) various lesson plans
  • Climbed Cave Hill
  • Tried all sorts of disgusting-sounding potato chip flavors
  • Taken time each day to notice and appreciate my surroundings
  • Kissed a fish
  • Become proficient at picking out American accents in the vicinity
  • Learned how to lock my front door!
  • Rid our apartment of mice (I hope)
  • Discovered a deep love of Tunnock's Tea Cakes
  • Learned to understand (most) local accents and expressions
Of course, it's not all sunshine all the time... I still have challenges and frustrations as I adapt to this new culture. I will say that besides the obvious people, the things I miss most are the clothes dryer and my Grasshoppers CSA subscription. I also miss my car, especially when walking home after buying groceries!

I have a few longer blog posts I'm still formulating in my head, but I wanted to check in and let you know I'm still alive and well! 

Until next time, 
T.

1 comment: